Amend the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018 (AEV Act) to require destinations with large-scale parking facilities to provide a certain percentage of EV charging points.Skip to law
Why use this?
One of the barriers to purchasing electric vehicles (EVs) is ‘range anxiety’ caused, in part, by the unavailability of ready access to EV charging points.
This amendment could be incorporated within the existing Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018 (AEV Act).
How it promotes a net zero future
The Bill would accelerate the uptake of EVs by removing ‘range anxiety’ as a barrier to switching vehicle. In turn this will reduce the transport sector’s contribution to CO2 emissions.
AUTOMATED AND ELECTRIC VEHICLES ACT 2018 (EV CHARGING POINT ACCESSIBILITY AMENDMENT) BILL
B I L L
Amend the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018 to provide that a charging infrastructure is developed to ensure large scale adoption of Electric Vehicles.
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
1. Amendment to Part 2, section 9 (2) of the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018
Part 2, Section 9 (2) shall be amended to include the additional definitions:
For the purposes of this Part –
(a) “landlord or owner” means any individual, public body or corporate entity which is the freeholder or ultimate controller.
(b) “Significant Destination” means any:
i. supermarket or stand-alone store larger than [ ] square meters
iii. clinics larger than [ ] square meters
v. hotels / bed and breakfast larger than [ ] square meters
vi. sports and events stadium or arenas
vii. motorway service stations
viii. large fuel retailers
ix. railway stations
x. all car parks larger than [ ] square meters (whether publicly or privately operated)
xi. shopping centres and retail parks
xii. or any other place as the Secretary of State may specify from time to time.
(c) “parking capacity” means the number of vehicles which can be parked on the land at the Significant Destination.
2. Amendment to Part 2, of the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018
Part 2 of the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018 shall be amended to include the following new section 15A:
15A Charge point targets for Significant Destinations
(1) A landlord or owner of land at a Significant Destination shall ensure that [ ]% of the parking capacity at such Significant Destination is installed with charge points.
(2) The Secretary of State may increase the percentage of parking capacity set out in clause (1) at any time.
(3) A landlord or owner of a Significant Destination shall ensure that the charge points at the Significant Destination are regularly maintained by the operator such that [95%] of such installed charge points are in working order at any given time.
(4) A landlord or owner of a Significant Destination shall ensure that charge point faults are rectified within a [reasonable period] of being reported to the landlord or owner of land of the Significant Destination or its agent or representative in such a way that the charge point is available for use.
At the end of the operational life of a charge point, the landlord or owner the land of a Significant Destination must replace the retired charge point with a replacement charge point using the best available technology at that time.