Our resources are maintained to ensure they reflect the latest climate science, legislation and policy and feedback from our community of over 2,500 lawyers and contract professionals.
Net zero drafting definitions & sample wording
We have updated our Net zero drafting definitions & sample wording document to incorporate the most up to date climate science, best practice and community-tested definitions for net zero contract drafting. The document can be used alongside TCLP’s Net Zero Dashboard and Net Zero Checklist as a practical tool for drafting climate aligned contracts. Net zero terms in our Glossary of climate related defined terms for contracts, have also been updated to reflect these changes.
Kaia’s Clause (Climate Purposed NDA Terms (Confidentiality Agreement)) has been shortened and refined to increase clarity and use.
Nico’s Clause (‘Coolerplate’ Clauses (Climate Aligned Boilerplate)) has been amended to:
- Align defined terms with our Net zero drafting definitions and sample wording document.
- Introduce a high and low ambition version of the waiver in clause 1.5.
- Add just transition principles by replacing the Third Party Rights clause in 1.16 with an Impacted Party Rights clause. The new clause obliges the parties to use reasonable efforts to contact, engage and consult with Impacted Parties.
Austen’s Clause (Sustainability Clauses in Supply Chain Contracts) has been revised to clarify when termination is triggered.
Sebastian’s Clause (Entire Business Net Zero Objectives) has been amended to align the defined terms with updates to our Net zero definitions and sample wording document. Other amendments are to make the clause easier to use.
Jessica’s Clause (Carbon Contract Clauses for Environmental Performance, and Associated Incentives and Remedies) has been revised to clarify when a climate remediation fee or emissions payment should be paid.
Raphael’s Procurement DDQ (Climate Change Due Diligence Questionnaire for Suppliers) has been amended to align defined terms with updates to our Net zero definitions and sample wording document. Minor drafting amendments have been made to clause 18 on offsetting.
Lola & Harry’s Clause (Climate Change Due Diligence Questionnaire) has been amended to:
- Add a new question 17 on spending by the target on climate-related incidents.
- Make minor typographical changes to the clause and its user notes.